Proof Alliance's Executive Director Sara Messelt Retiring in 2022
Over the last 23 years, Sara Messelt has led transformative change at Proof Alliance. She will continue to lead the organization until a successor has been selected.
A New Chapter for Proof Alliance
Proof Alliance recently announced the retirement of Executive Director Sara Messelt in 2022 after 23 years with the organization. Sara will continue to lead the organization until the position is filled.
Sara joined Proof Alliance, formerly known as Minnesota Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (MOFAS) in 1999, and became Executive Director of the organization in 2007. Thanks to Sara’s transformative leadership, Proof Alliance is now considered by many to be the gold-standard in FASD prevention and support. With Sara at the helm, Proof Alliance has deepened its work with families and communities impacted by fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD), and transformed its programs and services to clear the path for better outcomes.
So many challenges today we do not know how to solve. But with FASD---both as we prevent alcohol-exposed pregnancies and advocate for people with an FASD, we know where to begin and where we need to go. The future of Proof Alliance truly does look bright.
Highlights of Sara's tenure include:
- Passing landmark legislation requiring all children entering foster care to be screened for FASD
- Passing legislation requiring all foster parents in the state of Minnesota to have yearly training on FASD
- Partnering with national organizations and institutions to provide training and education on screening for FASD and providing the support their patients need
- Launching Our Children are Sacred Center to bring Proof Alliance programming to tribal communities throughout Minnesota and the country
- Securing the Butler Special Projects grant that allowed us to renovate the building at 1876 Minnehaha Avenue West in St. Paul, Minnesota. This space is now the central hub for Proof Alliance staff and the many families and professionals who use our services
- Opening the Proof Alliance FASD Clinic in St. Paul, Minnesota
- Leading a transformational rebranding of the organization in 2018
Securing the Organization’s Future
When the new executive director is selected, they will join a fierce community of advocates working tirelessly to advance our mission. Proof Alliance is well-positioned for continued success.
"Because of Sara's ambitious vision and the tireless drive to get it done, Proof Alliance is now a nationally-recognized and trusted leader in FASD prevention and support. We can keep boldly advancing the mission of Proof Alliance for decades to come, and that is Sara's legacy."