Find a Healthcare
  • Healthcare
  • Education
  • Social Services
  • Family
  • Community
  • Legal

Financial Assistance and Basic Needs

There are several programs that can help provide financial assistance and/or assistance with basic needs.

Food and Nutrition Support

  • Woman, Infants and Children (WIC) is a nutrition and breastfeeding program providing support to women and children prenatal to age 5. To learn more, apply here.
  • The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps Minnesotans with low incomes get the food they need for sound nutrition and well-balanced meals. Approved participants get a debit card to use to buy food at many stores and farmers’ markets. In the past, SNAP was known as Food Stamps. Visit your local social services office or apply here.

Financial Support

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI/ SSDI) is a program that gives cash benefits to children and adults with disabilities who have limited income and resources. The amount you get in SSI benefits is based on your financial need and your living situation. Go to your county social service office or apply here.
  • The Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)benefit includes a cash grant and food assistance. Go to your county social service office or apply here.
  • General Assistance (GA) A state program that gives monthly cash assistance to low-income Minnesotans. To qualify for the program, you must fit into one of 15 categories, most of which are based on disability or unemployability. Go to your county social service office or apply here.
  • The Low Income Energy Assistance Program helps eligible individuals pay for utilities such as heating costs. To find out if you qualify, apply here.

Employment Support

There are also several programs that help people with disabilities prepare for and find jobs. For example:

Housing Support

When thinking about living independently, there are many support services that help individuals with disabilities find and maintain housing. There are often waiting lists, so if you are thinking about living independently, it is a good idea to apply early.

Section 8 Voucher Program (Section 8) is federally funded subsidized housing, but partners with local housing agencies. To apply, contact your local county public housing authority.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) is for adults age 18 and older, who are eligible for Medical Assistance(MA) looking for financial support to help with basic needs. To learn more, apply here.

Housing Support (formerly Group Residential Housing) pays for room and board for individuals in group settings. To learn more, visit and apply here.